What is Dental Braces?
Dental braces are an orthodontic treatment method used to ensure correct alignment of teeth. Braces work in conjunction with small plates placed over the teeth. The plates are attached to the braces and the wires are passed between the teeth. In this way, the braces gently pull the teeth and move them into the correct position.
Braces are used to align the teeth, correct the jaw structure and provide a smooth bite in the mouth.
How Does Braces Work?
Braces apply gentle pressure to keep the teeth moving into the correct position. This pressure stimulates reactions in the bones and tissues of the teeth and allows the teeth to move slowly.
Braces consist of plates and wires. The plates are placed over the teeth and attached to the braces. Wires are passed between the plates and move the teeth by applying light pressure.
What are the Types of Braces?
There are several types of braces used in braces treatment. These are:
- * Metal braces: These braces are traditionally used braces and are more prominent because the brackets and wires are metal.
- * Ceramic braces: These braces are designed to be less obvious to the teeth. Brackets and wires are made of glass-like ceramic materials in the natural color of the teeth.
- * Lingual braces: These braces treat using brackets and wires placed on the back surface of the teeth. Because of this, braces become invisible or less visible throughout the treatment process.
- * Invisalign: This treatment option provides alignment of teeth using clear aligners. The plaques are placed on the teeth and after a few weeks of use, a new plaque is fitted. Invisalign is less prominent and comfortable than other types of braces, but it is not always suitable for everyone.
Braces treatment is customized according to the condition of the person's teeth and jaw, and the most suitable type of braces is determined for each person.
From what age is braces application done?
Braces treatment is performed when the development of the teeth and jaw is completed. Therefore, the optimal age range for braces application is usually between the ages of 10 and 14. However, braces can be applied at any age.
Braces treatment may vary depending on the condition of the teeth and jaw. In some cases, early interventions may make it possible to complete braces treatment more easily and in a shorter time. For this reason, dentists generally recommend that children go to their first control appointment at the age of 7-8 years.
Braces treatment can be done at any age. The most suitable age for the treatment of braces for adults is between the ages of 18-50, when the teeth are healthy and the jaw structure is complete.
The appropriate timing for braces treatment is determined by the condition of the person's teeth and jaw, the person's health status, and the purpose of braces treatment.
How Long Does the Braces Application Last?
The duration of braces may vary depending on the scope of treatment, the condition of the teeth and the treatment method. Typically, braces treatment takes between 1 and 3 years. However, in some cases it may take shorter or longer.
Factors affecting the duration of treatment include:
- * Condition of teeth: The amount of crookedness of the teeth or the size of the difference between the teeth may affect the treatment time. More serious dental problems may require a longer treatment period.
- * Treatment method: Different types of braces can be effective in different times. For example, braces treatments using clear aligners such as Invisalign may be of shorter duration.
- * Purpose of treatment: The aim of braces treatment may not only be to align the teeth but also to correct the jaw structure. Therefore, a longer treatment period may be required to solve more problems.
The duration of treatment is determined by the dentist or orthodontist. During braces treatment, going to regular checkup appointments and following the dentist's recommendations can help complete the treatment as soon as possible.
What are the points that the person who has braces should pay attention to?
People who have had braces should pay attention to certain points in order to protect their teeth and treatments and increase their effectiveness. These are:
- * Cleaning: It is very important to clean the teeth while the braces are attached. Teeth, especially the areas between wires and brackets, may be more difficult to clean. Therefore, brushing, flossing and, if necessary, mouthwash helps keep teeth clean and healthy. Specially produced brushes and dental floss are available for braces applications.
- * Diet: Braces mean you should limit your consumption of hard and sticky foods. Hard and sticky foods can break or remove wires and brackets. Therefore, foods that should not be consumed with braces include chewing gum, caramel, candies, nuts, and chips.
- * Pain and tenderness: After the braces are placed, pain and tenderness may be experienced for a while. This is a normal situation. However, if the pain and tenderness become constant and unbearable, it is recommended to consult your dentist.
- * Controls: It is important to follow the control appointments at the time intervals determined by the dentist, for the control of the course of the treatment.
Dt. Nurdan TOP
Mouth and Dental Health