Obesity has become one of the major health issues in modern societies. The rapidly increasing incidence of obesity is associated with a range of serious health problems and has a negative impact on healthcare systems. Obesity is linked to various health complications, including diabetes, heart diseases, hypertension, joint problems, and psychological issues. Managing and treating obesity is a top priority for us as healthcare professionals. In this context, we will focus on the "Gastric Balloon Application" as an effective option in the treatment of obesity in this article I have prepared for you.
What Is Obesity?
First and foremost, let's define obesity. Obesity is defined as an excess accumulation of body fat. It is usually measured using the body mass index (BMI), with a BMI of 30 or higher indicating obesity. Obesity can result from a combination of genetic, environmental, behavioral, and psychological factors. Excess weight is a complex condition that can lead to many health problems.
Why Is Obesity Treatment Necessary?
Obesity is a condition that can lead to a range of serious health problems. These health issues can include:
- Diabetes: Obesity increases the risk of type 2 diabetes. Insulin resistance can develop due to excessive body fat.
- Heart Diseases: Obesity increases the risk of conditions such as hypertension (high blood pressure), coronary artery disease, and stroke.
- Respiratory Problems: Severe obesity can lead to respiratory problems such as sleep apnea.
- Joint Problems: Obesity can increase the risk of joint pain and osteoarthritis.
- Psychological Issues: Obesity can be associated with depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem.
- Cancer: Obesity can increase the risk of certain types of cancer, such as breast, colon, and uterine cancer.
If we list the options for obesity treatment:
- Diet and Exercise: A healthy diet and regular exercise play a fundamental role in managing obesity.
- Medication: In some cases, we healthcare professionals may recommend certain medications to support weight loss. It is important to note that the use of medications not recommended by a healthcare provider can lead to serious health problems.
- Surgical Treatment: In cases of severe obesity, surgical procedures such as bariatric surgery may be considered.
- Intragastric Procedures: Procedures like the Gastric Balloon and Gastric Botox, which reduce the volume of the stomach and create a longer-lasting feeling of fullness.
Let's now take a closer look at the "Gastric Balloon" among non-surgical intragastric procedures.
What Is a Gastric Balloon?
A gastric balloon (gastric balloon) is a non-surgical method used in the treatment of obesity. In this method, a balloon is endoscopically inserted into the patient's stomach and then inflated. It occupies approximately one-third of the stomach's volume, which is about 850ml, reducing the amount of food intake. Sedation or light anesthesia is usually applied during the balloon placement procedure. As a result, the patient starts to eat less and loses weight.
Effects of Gastric Balloon
The gastric balloon provides several positive effects in the treatment of obesity. Here are some important outcomes:
- Weight Loss: The gastric balloon can help patients achieve rapid and significant weight loss, which contributes to alleviating health problems associated with obesity.
- Appetite Control: The gastric balloon helps control appetite by reducing the volume of the stomach, making appetite control easier.
- Improvement in Diabetes: It may contribute to the improvement of metabolic diseases such as type 2 diabetes associated with obesity.
- Reducing the Need for Surgery: The gastric balloon may reduce the need for obesity surgery and offer an alternative option for some patients.
Who Is Suitable for Gastric Balloon?
The gastric balloon procedure is a suitable option for patients who need to lose weight but do not consider surgery or have surgical risks. However, it may not be suitable for every patient. Before the procedure, the recommendation and evaluation of a gastroenterology specialist are necessary.
Obesity is a complex condition that requires effective treatment methods. Gastric balloon application is considered an effective option to accelerate weight loss and alleviate obesity-related problems. However, the results of this method may vary depending on individual needs and health conditions. Therefore, it is important for patients considering gastric balloon application to consult with a specialist healthcare professional.
Dr. Hasan GÜREL